The Goenchi Mati Movement today releases its Manifesto for the Goa Assembly Elections 2017. The movement asks all political parties to include it in their manifestos.
GOA (21-Nov-2016): The Goenchi Mati Movement is asking for the implementation of some simple Constitutional principles in the management of our natural resources, especially the State of Goa’s mineral wealth. The Movement is releasing its manifesto which it requests all people-friendly political parties to incorporate into their party platforms. We have developed a win-win solution to a very vexed issue (mining) that is of great importance and concern to voters.
The manifesto revolves around the Goenchi Mati Principles, which are:
- We, the people of Goa, own the mineral in common. The state government is merely a trustee of natural resources for the people and especially future generations (Public Trust Doctrine).
- As we have inherited the minerals, we are simply custodians and must pass them on to future generations (Intergenerational Equity).
- Therefore, if we mine and we sell our mineral resources, we must ensure zero loss, ie. capture of the full economic rent (sale price minus cost of extraction, cost including reasonable profit for miner). Any loss is a loss to all of us and our future generations.
- All receipts from minerals must be saved in the Goenchi Mati Permanent Fund. Similar proposals are already implemented all over the globe. Like the minerals, the Permanent Fund will also be part of the commons. The Supreme Court has ordered the creation of a Permanent Fund for Goan iron ore and already Rs. 94 crores is deposited.
- Any real income (after inflation) from the Goenchi Mati Permanent Fund must only be distributed to all as a right of ownership, a Citizen’s Dividend. This is like the comunidade zonn, but paid to everyone.
- The implementation of these principles will be done in a transparent participatory process with the people of Goa.
We believe this manifesto produces a fair outcome for all mining stakeholders. In summary,
– Mining dependent will benefit
– Mining affected will benefit
– Government of Goa will benefit
– People of Goa will benefit
– Future citizens of Goa will benefit
– Miners can get up to 20% return but not beyond.
At the release of the manifesto, Claude Alvares from the Goenchi Mati Movement said: “The Goenchi Mati Manifesto proposes a model for mining that protects the rights of the children and of the future generations of Goa. It also dramatically reduces the potential for looting that is associated with mining, which has caused tremendrous environmental, economic and social damage and corrupted several sectors in Goa. This is a unique opportunity that must not be frittered away.”
Rahul Basu from the Goenchi Mati Movement said: “This is a critical step in changing the trajectory of our civilization. Goa has the opportunity to be a beacon of hope in a dark world. I hope pro-people political parties show leadership and courage and adopt this fair-to-all manifesto.”
“This is the optimum way of promoting community development while giving every man, woman and child a sense of basic security and pride in their community. It is enlightened, it is sensible, and it is eminently feasible.” — Professor Guy Standing, SOAS, University of London, and Hon.Co-President of BIEN (Basic Income Earth Network)
You can show your support at goenchimati.org/support. Aamchi Mati Aamka Zai!
CONTACT: Roxanne Coutinho
Phone: +91 800 763 6466